Aug

P90X Week 3: Repeat if Necessary

By

P90X Week 3 Redux

As I noted in my last post, I decided to repeat week 3 of P90X since I was on vacation and only ended up doing two workouts. I came back strong on week 3 and had a good workout and diet week. I ended up losing another 1.5 pounds which was great. I am also hopefully gaining muscle at the same time.

I fully intended to buy a recovery drink mix, but I ended up not getting one. I am not totally convinced of the merits of recovery drinks, not to mention that they are expensive. I looked at Accelerade at my local Vitamin Shoppe, but decided not to get it. I wish I could get some sample packs to try before I buy a huge tub to see if I like it. Obviously, one needs to eat or drink something after a workout but so far I think chocolate milk is working fine.

One thing I did differently this week was use a real pull-up bar. It definitely made a difference in the intensity of my workouts. I like it better than using the resistance band. I must admit that I am getting a little bit tired of P90X basically taking up 6 mornings a week, it’s a big time commitment but I’m happy with the results so far. I am looking forward to my recovery week where the workouts are a little less strenuous before ramping up for the second phase.

Share and Enjoy:
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • del.icio.us
  • Digg
  • Google Bookmarks
  • MySpace
  • Reddit
  • StumbleUpon
  • Technorati
  • LinkedIn
  • Yahoo! Bookmarks
This work, unless otherwise expressly stated, is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 United States License.
Categories : Health & Wellness

Comments

1. Mom says:

Keep up the good work!

2. Fred from Long Island says:

I am on round 3, end of phase 1. For those who don’t speak P90X, that’s my third time through the whole program. At the end of round 1, I said “I am definitely doing round 2″ because honestly, the results were good but not incredible. I might not be one of those bodybuilder types. ;-) At the end of round 2, I was not as enthusiastic, but I decided to keep going because I had seen some progress in my number of repetitions. I am determined to match the numbers of one of those women. Notice I am not even aiming at the men yet!

I know what you mean about the resistance bands for pull ups vs pull downs. When I did my last fitness test, I was out at the playground where they have a pull up bar. It still felt like my arms were being ripped out, and I only did five or so. I am satisfied with seeing the definition in my arms and knowing that I keep pulling that band back a little farther each week. I guess you have to pick your battles. It would be difficult for me to install a pull up bar, and the one we hang on the doorframe only fits in one (inconvenient) spot.

Keep up the good work! I’m sure everyone has highs and lows with the program, and it’s flexible enough that you can use it for whatever your goals are.

3. Melinda says:

Thanks for the encouragement! Yes the pull up bar is harder but I’m using a chair. Maybe one day I will be able to do real pull-ups. I think maybe the bands I have aren’t resistant enough, they are ones I got with 10 minute trainer.

4. Fred From Long Island says:

I got these bands from Amazon. I chose red, blue and purple. I mostly use blue and purple as a replacement for heavier weights, and purple for my pulldowns (attached to the top of a door).

5. John Cowart says:

Mel,
    Congrats! Go GIRL Go GIRL! I started with accelerade, went to endurox 4, then to p90x recovery drink. I get two a month I go through it so fast. It’s the best tasting stuff on the planet. Endurox 4 and Accelerade taste very similar and are more like high powered gator aide. The sugars in the chocolate milk probably aren’t the best in the world and unless it’s not fat chocolate milk it’ probably not the best. The reason the milk is good is that it has protein, and the sugar helps push it into your system faster to help with depleted glycogen stores and is a simple carb. All the above recovery drinks work way better than chocolate milk minus the protein. Milk doesnt have the vitamins that the recovery drinks have. The only difference is the protein amount. If your eating after workouts about an hour or so later then your good to go. If not get a good protein powder.
    I think the chocolate milk is a great idea for gainers. If you leaning then I would go with orange juice first, or one of the other recovery drinks above.
    Just 2 cents.
    Go Luck, your rocking it!
    John
    johncowart@wheresmysixpack.com

6. Melinda says:

Thanks John! I am using skim milk when I drink chocolate milk as a recovery drink. I also sometimes just eat a protein bar or drink a protein shake. I definitely don’t want to do any gaining! I haven’t been terribly sore or anything but I’m not totally sure what the recovery drink is supposed to accomplish.

7. John Cowart says:

Recovery drinks should be a 4:1 ratio of carbs to protein according to some fitness experts out there. That ratio helps to promote muscle repair quicker than without. Accelerade, Endurox 4, Cytocell, and p90x recovery drinks are all 4:1. They usually have some sugar(simple carbs) to help two things, quick uptake of the vitamins within the drink to the muscles/body, and to act as a quick simple carb for muscle repair. Usually they use the “good” sugars like corn syrup(fructose). Should be around 32g. Your body after a workout will burn that stuff up so it doent turn to fat like you think it would. Recovery drinks are to help stop muscle atrophy, the body using muscle for fuel instead of fat. The recoveries help to quickly repair the injured muscles and reduce next day soreness. Help?
    John

8. Melinda says:

Yes, that was a very helpful overview of recovery drinks. I had a general idea, but wasn’t totally sure. Thanks!

9. Jim says:

Hi there! Good work with the P90X! I am currently finishing up Week 4 – my first time doing this. I agree, it is a big time committment, but I like the results so far. I do need to kick it up a notch though – I haven’t been doing the diet side of the plan, and think I would have much better results if I had.

I wanted to bring your attention to this great article, which objectively compares low-fat chocolate milk to a popular recovery drink. The conclusion was the chocolate milk was more than acceptable as a recovery drink, and much cheaper!

Check it out, it was very eye-opening to me!

Good luck with the rest of the program

10. Melinda says:

Thanks Jim. I read a similar article (http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/02/24/health/webmd/main1342839.shtml) that I referenced in my week 1 post. This one is much more scientific though. The main reason I now want a recovery drink is to have something to help me get through a workout because sometimes I crash doing Plyo and Kenpo. I tried fruit and it helps some but I still run out of energy sometimes. The thought of drinking chocolate milk while working out just seems wrong for some reason :D I did finally get some Accelerade so we’ll see how it goes.

11. [...] energy level. Or maybe it’s just all in my head, but at least I think it’s working. A commenter on one of my previous posts gave me a link to another article singing the praises of chocolate milk as a recovery drink so [...]

12. Fred From Long Island says:

Back to this topic again… If you want to hear the chocolate milk topic discussed by personal trainer/triathlete Ben Greenfield aka @bengreenfield on Twitter, here is a link to his podcast. He gets a question from a listener about chocolate milk for recovery at 47:00 or so. (Scroll down to see the episode player.)

P.S. The episode title is a reference to his recent return from the Ironman World Championship in Hawaii.

13. Melinda says:

Fred that was great info in the podcast about the chocolate milk! Who knew that chocolate milk could be so controversial.

14. Fred says:

I’m glad you liked it. I would recommend http://www.bengreenfieldfitness.com for anyone who is interested in health and fitness. I am certainly not a triathlete, but there’s plenty there for me to learn.

15. John says:

I think chocolate milk is good if you have nothing else better to use. With that said I think there are plenty of much better post workouts that are better. Milk has a very low absorption rate and post workout is all about absorption. The study that people talk about was backed by the milk industry for one. Go figure. This article pretty much sums up why there are better solutions. http://bit.ly/9zPQYQ

16. Melinda says:

That’s a good article John. Although I did note that this guy also sells recovery drinks so I wonder if there are any non biased studies out there? I think for my use, chocolate milk is probably fine, I’m not a body builder or anything and I hate to spend a ton on recovery drinks. Plus, chocolate milk seems more natural. I get Nesquik and it doesn’t have any HFCS in it like pre-mixed chocolate milk does. A lot of the time, I just eat something within an hour and don’t drink a recovery drink anyway.

17. John says:

I looked at nesquick. One thing I did like about it was that it uses MALTODEXTRIN. A simple carb which is great for post workout. Not sure how much they have in it. Its what helps boost the vitamins into your body quicker. You just have to watch your sugar intake on the nesquick stuff.

18. John says:

Ugh. My response to the chocolate milk didnt post. So let me try this again.

I didnt even realize that guy was selling a drink. lol. The article seemed logical to me from a nutritional stand point if “fast absorbing” post workout drinks are your goal. I think just about any thing with some nutritional value would be good post work out. A carrot, apple, banana, etc. The point was about fast absorption. If fast absorption is of no concern then you can use just about anything. I like to maximize my workouts, and fast absorption into my muscles to stop catabolism and get nutrients in there as fast as possible. Chocolate milk is definetly a good post workout drink, but not the “best” for fast absorption. Whey protein powders are still just milk. It’s just milk processed differently for faster absorption.

19. John says:

First of all I drink milk. I drink non fat organic milk everyday. I just saw this on bodybuidling web site and thought it some good information since we are on the topic of milk and fitness: http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/south109.htm

There are also milk benefit articles on that site as well.

J

20. Melinda says:

I’m not terribly worried about fast absorption. I think what I’m doing is working pretty well for me. I’m always up for trying new things though.