Oct
09

Curiosity (Almost) Killed the Cat

By

A few weeks ago, my husband brought me a bouquet of flowers. They were beautiful yellow lilies with red roses and greenery. He likes to surprise me with flowers now and then and this was the first time he had gotten me lilies. I put them on a stand by the front door so I could admire them. I liked them so much, that I took a picture with my phone.

The flowers I received from my husband

Friday night our cat Gracie was violently ill, she threw up a lot, not just a little hairball, but some serious stuff. I thought this was unusual and was trying to figure out what could have made her sick. Not to gross you out, but the puke was tinted yellowish which was odd. I was trying to figure out what she could have gotten into when Jake mentioned that the lilies were yellow. I looked at the flowers and sure enough, a couple of petals were missing from one of the lilies. I came to the conclusion that she had eaten them.

Lilies are Highly Toxic to Cats!

I thought I would do some research online to see if there was something I could give Gracie to make her feel better. I knew that some plants were poisonous to cats, but figured she would probably feel better the next day. I googled the phrase “lilies poisonous to cats” and found a list of plants poisonous to cats. I was surprised when I saw that there was a whole separate page on lilies on the site I was visiting. The more I read, the more concerned I became. I discovered that lilies are one of THE most toxic plants to cats. Easter lilies and many varieties of day lilies were included in the list. They are highly poisonous even in small doses and can cause kidney failure! I was totally shocked! I felt like a terrible pet owner for not knowing this information. Any part of a lily is poisonous to cats, from the stem to the petals. I kept doing more research and found a couple of cases where people posted about their cats eating lilies and then dying. I was beside myself as you can imagine. From what I read, treatment should be done in 12 – 18 hours to avoid kidney damage. Some sites said treatment is needed within 6 hours.

I read that the normal course of events after a cat eats a piece of a lily is that they are sick and throw up. Then they may appear to get better. If a pet owner doesn’t know that the lilies are toxic, or doesn’t know that their cat ate one, they will just think the cat is feeling better. Until the cat’s kidneys begin to fail. According to my research, within 48 to 96 hours after consumption, the cat will tend to show signs of clinical kidney failure: increased urination, depression, stomach upset and dehydration. Once kidney failure begins, there is little that can be done to save the cat besides humanely putting it to sleep.  Without treatment, death tends to occur within 5 days.

Treatment for Lily Poisoning

Of course, this all happened at 9pm when there were no vets open besides an emergency vet (which is not cheap).  I decided to take Gracie first thing in the morning. When I took her to the vet, he was very concerned and said that cats eating lilies is similar to them eating antifreeze and has similar effects. However, since she had just eaten the lilies the night before, they could take her blood to see if any damage had been done yet and put her on an IV to flush the poison out of her system. He recommended starting with two days of the IV and then testing her blood again to check her BUN and Creatinine levels that indicate if the kidneys are functioning properly. So Gracie had to be admitted to the “hospital” and put on an IV. She was none too happy about that. As you can imagine, treatment is not cheap. Here is a picture of her on her IV. My husband wasn’t too thrilled about the vet bill, he said that those were the most expensive flowers he had ever gotten me!


Gracie in the hospita

Gracie was a very fortunate kitty. Much to my relief, after two days of being on an IV, her blood test came back normal and there was no kidney damage. She was happy to get home and get back to her normal routine.

Once a person knows that lilies are poisonous to cats, preventing lily poisoning is easy, just keep lilies out of the house or garden. Anywhere a cat might come in contact with them. There are dozens of other plants that are poisonous to cats and dogs as well. For a complete list, check the ASPCA’s Poison Control Center. While most plants are not as poisonous to cats as lilies, there are several that can make them very sick.

What can you do?

I have talked to a few cat owners in recent days, and none of them knew that lilies were toxic to cats. If you are a cat owner, be sure to keep lilies out of reach of your cats. If you know someone who is a cat owner, be sure to mention it to them. I ran across this pdf from UC Veterinary Medical Center, I think it would be a great idea to print off and see if vet offices in your area have a bulletin board it can be posted on. Also, increasing awareness at florist shops would be good. In my case I am happy to say, all is well that ends well!

Gracie reposing on her favorite chair

A healthy Gracie reposing on her favorite chair

Share and Enjoy:
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • del.icio.us
  • Digg
  • Google Bookmarks
  • MySpace
  • Reddit
  • StumbleUpon
  • Technorati
  • LinkedIn
  • Yahoo! Bookmarks
This work, unless otherwise expressly stated, is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 United States License.

Comments

  1. Mom says:

    I would like to see a picture of the healthy, fat and sassy Gracie on this site.

  2. Melinda says:

    I added a new picture of her.

  3. [...] [1] Curiosity (Almost) Killed the Cat | Melinda’s Musings [2] Lilies Poisonous to Cats: Easter Lily and the tiger lily are … [3] Poisonous Plants for [...]

  4. Lori says:

    Was your cat fine after coming home from the vet? Any complications after being taken off the IV fluids? I just had this happen to my cat also and so far it is going well.

  5. Melinda says:

    Lori,

    My cat was fine and didn’t have any complications after coming home. I hope all is well with your cat as well!

  6. Garrett says:

    Hi Lori,
    The exact same situation just happened to our cat 2 nights ago. I bought Tiger Lilies for my wife’s birthday (we obviosly had no idea they were so poisonous to cats) and our cat ingested some around 9pm and we too had to wait until first thing the next morning to take him to the vet. He’s still at the vet on an IV and initial blood tests have been positive, but he has had blood in his urine. Did your cat experience bloody urine as well?
    I’ve very happy to have read your story…almost everything else about the subject online paints a very gloomy picture.
    Thanks

  7. Melinda says:

    Garrett,

    My cat didn’t have any blood in her urine that I know of. My cat is a pretty large cat so I think that might have helped too. I hope your cat makes a full recovery!

    Melinda

  8. Mackenzie says:

    Melinda,

    Your story is identical to what just happened to my husband and I. He too bought me lilies not knowing they were so toxic to kitties (the florist even told him that cats stay away from lilies and the cats would be ok). One of my cats, I have two, ate the smallest piece of the flower sometime during the night…next morning woke up to small piles of vomit all over the house. We immediately rushed him to the vets, he has been at the vets now for three days and we pick him up tonight! All of his tests have been coming back normal, thank goodness. Hopefully he makes a full recovery, including his stress level from being at the vets for three days. I feel like there needs to be some type of warning on all plants and flowers that are toxic to animals…I have heard of this happening way too much.
    I am so glad to hear your kitty made a full recovery, I hope ours follows suit.

    Thanks again for sharing your experience, it made me feel less alone!

  9. Melinda says:

    Mackenzie,

    I certainly hope that your cat has made a full recovery! Gracie and I send our best wishes =’.'=

    Melinda

  10. Maxx says:

    My Name is Maxx and My cats name is Frodo, like the lord of the rings. I bought an easter lily a week ago and put it in my house. That night my cat puked up ALL his food. I had switched food brands that same day (getting the lily and new food at walmart) so I switched him back to his old food and he “got better” or so I though. He started acting funny yesterday but I assumed he was in heat, then today he looked sick so I snuggled him up and we took a nap. We woke up one and a half hours later and he was MUCH worse. I brought him to the vet at 6:30pm and he was put down at 9:30pm. He just couldnt make it. He was only 3. I wish I wouldve made the connection but the lily was in another room and I never looked at it. I pray anyone who reads this still has time.

  11. Sandra says:

    Both of my cats ate about 4 tiger Lilly leaves. I took them to the Emergency vet’s office within 2 hours of ingestion. It has been 48 hours and so far kidney function is normal. However, both ran fevers last night. They will be home in about 20 hours if all goes well. I had no idea lillies were so toxic to cats. Vet bill is over $2000. In my case, it was easy to discover they had eaten lillies because one of them actually puked some Lilly parts up.

Leave a Reply

Please leave these two fields as-is:

Protected by Invisible Defender. Showed 403 to 36,215 bad guys.